Each year Pittsburgh Theological Seminary offers our free Advent and Lent devotionals as our gift to you! We invite you to read and listen to daily messages written by members of the Seminary community. To learn more about ways to access the devotionals, please scroll down.
Lent Resource Kit
In addition to the daily devotionals, we invite you to access additional Lent resources. They include
- NEW! Lent reflections e-book with comments from faculty and program directors plus video conversations
- NEW! Big Book of Lent (Year 1) with multiple devotionals for each day of Lent as compiled over the years
- "What is Lent?" video
- "See My Hands" video and lesson plan
- Psalm 131 original liturgical translation with audio and lesson plan
- A customizable PowerPoint
Coffee with the Dean Video Series
Again this year we'll sit down with Dean Heather Vacek and members of the PTS community for a cup of coffee and conversation about Lent. Videos will be live each Wednesday morning at 10:00 through April 12, 2017, and available for viewing on YouTube if you miss them live. Like us on Facebook so you don't miss an episode!
During our Week 4 video, Dean Heather Vacek and the Rev. Karen Rohrer - director of the Seminary's Church Planting Initiative - discuss new worshiping communities, creative Lent practices, and the 23rd Psalm.
Week 3 with the Rev. Dr. David Esterline, President and Professor of Cross-Cultural Theological Education
Week 2 with the Rev. Dr. Leanna Fuller, Assistant Professor of Pastoral Care
2017 Lent Devotionals
Daily Devotionals Delivered to your E-mail
- Visit PTS News Sign Up.
- Complete the required information and select Devotionals (Advent and Lent). Please note that other e-newsletters are available.
- Click “Subscribe”.
If you received the Lenten or Advent devotional last year, nothing further is required.
If you already receive e-news from the Seminary (President’s Communiqué, Alumni News, WMI, MUI, or Continuing Education), but not the Devotional, you will need to
- Click "Preferences" at the end of a PTS e-mail.
- Select "Devotionals (Advent and Lent)" and click "Update."
- Please note, if you would like to subscribe to the Devotional using a different e-mail from which you receive other Seminary e-newsletters, you will need to sign up using the “New Subscriber” instructions listed above.
For those with further questions or having difficulty signing up, please e-mail David Keys at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Seminary's Advent and Lenten Devotionals are available through a free app for your Android or Apple device. Visit the Google Play Store or iTunes Store and search for "Devotions - Advent & Lent" or follow these link from your mobile device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.pts.devotions (Android) or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/devotions-advent-lent/id945697533?ls=1&mt=8 (Apple).
Devotionals on Social Media
Devotionals to Print and Share
We also offer a printed version of the devotional that's great for sharing with your small church group. You can request a printed copy be mailed to you by e-mailing email@example.com or calling 412-362-5610. DOWNLOAD THE 2017 LENT DEVOTIONAL
Advent Devotional 2016
Advent Devotional 2015
Advent Devotional 2014
Advent Devotional 2013
Advent Devotional 2012
Advent Devotional 2011
Advent Devotional 2010
Advent Devotional 2009
Advent Devotional 2008