Pittsburgh Theological Seminary recently rededicated the newly renovated Hicks Memorial Chapel during four worship services Nov. 26-29. See the services in pictures.
During the first service, we rededicated the chapel to God’s purposes among us. Worshippers processed from the Knox Room, where services were held during the renovation, to Hicks Chapel. The space, font, communion table, and pulpit were all dedicated to God’s glory. The Rev. Dr. William J. Carl III, president and professor of homiletics, led the service.
The following day the Rev. Dr. Sheldon Sorge, pastor to Pittsburgh Presbytery and PTS Board Member, oversaw the affirmation of baptism service. Every time when upon entering the sanctuary we pass the new font we are reminded that we entered God’s presence through the waters of baptism..
During the Wednesday service, we gave thanks for the new pulpit. A pulpit is not a lectern, because a sermon is not a lecture. In a lecture we speak in our own name, but in a sermon we speak in the name of the Lord. The Rev. Dr. Angela Hancock, assistant professor homiletics and worship, preached.
On the final day, we celebrated the feast and communion table. The Rev. Dr. Edwin Chr. van Driel, assistant professor of theology, preached and presided.
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is a graduate professional institution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A). Founded in 1794, the Seminary is located in Pittsburgh, Pa. and approximately 300 students are enrolled yearly in the degree programs. The Seminary prepares leaders who proclaim with great joy God’s message of good news in both word and deed. PTS is rooted in the Reformed history of faithfulness to Scripture and commitment to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.