News And Events
Alumnae/i Days 2013 Photo Gallery
Seminary Hosts Pittsburgh Pastoral Care Conference
PTS Receives Grant for Worship Renewal Project
Series Explores the Idea of Spiritual But Not Religious
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary Names Assistant Professor of Homiletics
PTS Welcomes Associate Professor of Leadership and Ministry
Meet our Faculty and Staff in Your Area
Dale C. Allison Jr.
Errett M. Grable Professor of New Testament Exegesis and Early Christianity
Year Started at PTS: 1997
- Ph.D., Duke University / Biblical Studies, 1982
- M.A., Duke University / Biblical Studies, 1979
- B.A., Wichita State University / Philosophy, 1977
Dr. Dale C. Allison Jr., Errett M. Grable Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity, has been on the faculty of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary since 1997. Before then, he served on the faculties of Texas Christian University (Fort Worth, Texas) and Friends University (Wichita, Kan.). His areas of expertise include Second Temple Judaism, and he is the author of books on early Christian eschatology, the Gospel of Matthew, the so-called Sayings Source or Q, and the historical Jesus. He has also written The Luminous Dusk, a book on religious experience in the modern world, and a full-length commentary on the Testament of Abraham. His most recently published works are The Love There That’s Sleeping: The Art and Spirituality of George Harrison, The Historical Christ and the Theological Jesus, and Constructing Jesus: Memory, History, and Imagination. He has recently completed a full-length commentary on the Epistle of James (to be published in 2013) and is currently working on a commentary on 4 Baruch (Paraleipomena Jeremiou) as well as on a book of reflections on death. He is married to Kristine Allison and they have three children.
Ordination: PC(USA), 1999 as elder
Local Church Membership: Glenshaw Presbyterian Church, Glenshaw, Pa.
Areas of Specialty
- Second Temple Judaism
- Early Christian eschatology
- Gospels and Q
- Historical Jesus
- Book of James
- New Testament Studies
- Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus
- Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception
- Journal for the Study of the New Testament (former)
- Journal of Biblical Literature (former)
- Constructing Jesus named "Best Book Relating to New Testament" by Biblical Archaeology Society, 2011
- Jesus of Nazareth: Millenarian Prophet selected as a top ten book for parish ministry by the Academy of Parish Clergy Inc., 1998
- PEW Fellowship, 1997
Recently Dr. Allison spoke at United Theological Seminary in Daton, Ohio, who provided this video. Please advance the video to 1:30 to hear the intro and lecture.