Pittsburgh Theological Seminary

Faculty Chair Histories

Errett M. Grable Chair of New Testament Exegesis and Early Christianity

Errett M. Grable was born in 1889 in Hiram, Ohio, and graduated from Stetson University in 1909. President of Weaver Aluminum, Inc., a subsidiary of Aluminum Company of America, Grable later became the founder and lifetime director of Rubbermaid, Inc., which grew into an international housewares manufacturing company. A member of the board of directors of Western Theological Seminary, he played a major role in guiding the merger between Western Theological Seminary and Pittsburgh-Xenia Seminary to form Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.

After Grable’s death in 1959, his widow, Minnie, focused her personal philanthropy on scholarships to help young people enroll in vocational training. She established The Grable Foundation in 1976 and supported it till her death in 1990 at age 100.As longtime residents of Pittsburgh and members of Third Presbyterian Church in Shadyside, the Grables supported community and youth organizations in southwestern Pennsylvania and were deeply concerned with the welfare of the Pittsburgh region and all its citizens.

The chair was established by Minnie K. Grable in 1964 in memory of her husband. In 1970 Dr. Markus Barth was named as its first occupant, and in 1979 Dr. Ulrich Mauser was named as its second occupant. Dr. Dale C. Allison Jr. was installed in 1997 as its third occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Robert C. Holland Chair of Old Testament

Robert Cleveland Holland was pastor of Shadyside Presbyterian Church from 1972 till his death in 1983 at the age of 55. Previously, he served as senior minister at The Presbyterian Church-on-the-Green in Morristown, New Jersey, and as a pastor of Presbyterian churches in Newark, Ohio, and Bath, New York. Holland served on the board of directors of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary from 1976-1983.

Mrs. Henrietta Campbell, a member of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church, established this chair in 1984 as a memorial to Holland’s ministry. In 1985 the Rev. Dr. Donald Gowan was installed to the chair as its first occupant. The Rev. Dr. Jerome Creach was installed in 2003 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

James A. Kelso Chair of Hebrew and Old Testament

James A. Kelso was born in 1873 to missionary parents in India. He attended Washington and Jefferson College and Western Theological Seminary, an antecedent institution of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. He was ordained in the Presbyterian Church in 1898. After completing his Ph.D. at the University of Leipzig in 1900, he served as a professor at Western from 1901-1943 and as president from 1908-1943.

Mrs. Henrietta Titzel Campbell established the chair in 1961 in Kelso’s honor. Mrs. Campbell was a philanthropist and civic leader in Pittsburgh from the 1950’s until her death in 1991 at the age of 101. She was also the first female elder of the former Forty Third Street Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh before becoming a member of Shadyside Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Campbell was named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania in 1961. She was the wife of Robert D. Campbell, Pittsburgh industrialist and co-founder of Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation.

In 1961 the Rev. Dr. David Noel Freedman was named to the chair as its first occupant. Funds from the endowment supported the positions of subsequent Old Testament professors beginning in 1965, including the Rev. Dr. H. Eberhard von Waldo and the Rev. Dr. Jared J. Jackson. The Rev. Dr. Steven Tuell was installed in 2010 as its first official occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

John McNaugher Chair of New Testament Literature and Exegesis

John McNaugher was a distinguished New Testament scholar and professor of New Testament literature and exegesis at Allegheny and Pittsburgh-Xenia Seminaries from 1886-1943. He served as president of Pittsburgh- Xenia from 1909 until his retirement in 1943, at which time the Seminary’s board of directors passed a resolution to establish a named chair in his honor.

In 1959 Dr. McNaugher’s sister, Euphemia McNaugher Trimble, widow of Judge Thomas Trimble, contributed funding for the chair in honor of her brother. In 1943 the Rev. Dr. Theophilus Mills Taylor ’41 was named to the chair. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

William F. Orr Chair of New Testament

William F. Orr was born in Corinth, Mississippi, in 1907. The son of a pastor, Orr graduated from Southwestern College in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1928; Louisville Theological Seminary in 1931; and Hartford Theological Seminary in 1936. A faculty member at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary from 1936-1975, he taught New Testament literature and exegesis. Dr. Orr was so beloved by the students, alumnae/i, and faculty that he was named an honorary alumnus of the Seminary upon his retirement.

The chair was established by multiple donors, with major gifts in the late 1980s from Mr. Vernon Vandersall and Mr. Thomas Watkins. In 1978 the Rev. Dr. Douglas R. A. Hare was installed to the chair as its first occupant, and in 1999 the Rev. Dr. Bonnie Thurston was installed as its second occupant. Dr. Edith M. Humphrey was installed in 2005 as its third occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

G. Albert Shoemaker Chair in Bible and Archaeology

G. Albert Shoemaker was a committed Christian, a well-respected industrial leader, a philanthropist, and a man of vision. He graduated from Penn State in 1923 with a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and went on to lead a distinguished career in the mineral industries. After working as an engineer with Babcock and Wilcox, he joined Pittsburgh Coal Company, a predecessor of CONSOL Energy, where he worked for 35 years, retiring as president of the company in 1966. He engaged in many civic and philanthropic activities, including serving on the boards of several corporate and non-profit organizations until his death in late 1990. In 1986, he received the John Anderson Award of Merit, the highest honor bestowed by Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, in recognition of his service and contributions to the Seminary community.

Mr. Shoemaker’s wife, Mercedes (“Merdie”), continues the strong support of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary they began as individuals and continued as a married couple. Their generous gifts to the Seminary’s archaeology program and Continuing Education Department, particularly, have transformed the school. In addition, Mrs. Shoemaker began service on the board in 1989, continues in a leadership role as an emerita director, herself receiving the Anderson Award of Merit in 1998, and is a member of the Seminary’s John S. McMillan Planned Giving Society.

The chair was established by Mr. Shoemaker. In early 1990 the Rev. Dr. Robert L. Kelley Jr. ’51 was installed to the chair as its first occupant. Dr. Ron E. Tappy was installed in 1999 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Directors’ Bicentennial Chair of Theology and Culture

The members of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary’s board of directors endowed this chair in 1994 as part of a faculty chair campaign. In 2002 the Rev. Dr. Susan L. Nelson was installed to the chair as its first occupant. The Rev. Dr. Edwin Chr. van Driel was installed in 2014 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Hugh Thomson Kerr Chair of Pastoral Theology

Hugh Thomson Kerr was born in 1871 in Canada. He earned his B.A. and M.A. from the University of Toronto, graduated from Western Theological Seminary in 1897, and was ordained by the Pittsburgh Presbytery. He served pastorates in Pittsburgh, Kansas, and Chicago and then returned to Pittsburgh to become pastor of Shadyside Presbyterian Church, where he served from 1913-1945. Kerr was a member of the board of directors at Western Theological Seminary and a Pittsburgh Seminary guest professor in homiletics from 1947-1950. The first minister to preach over the radio, many of his sermons were published by Shadyside Presbyterian Church and are catalogued in the Barbour Library at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.

Miss Mable Lindsay Gillespie endowed this chair in 1958, eight years after Dr. Kerr’s death. In 1961 the Rev. Dr. Gordon E. Jackson was installed to the chair in 1961 as its first occupant, and in 1995 the Rev. Dr. Andrew Purves was named as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

H. Parker Sharp Chair of Theology and Ethics

H. Parker Sharp, attorney and philanthropist, was born in Youngstown, Ohio. He graduated from Peabody High School, Harvard College, and Harvard Law School. In 1929 he began his career as an attorney with Hayes and Richardson in Oklahoma City and in 1931 joined Reed Smith Shaw and McClay in Pittsburgh. In 1942 became vice president and general counsel for the Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation, where he also served on the board of directors.

For 12 years Mr. Sharp also served on the board of directors at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and as an elder at Sixth United Presbyterian Church and Shadyside Presbyterian Church. He supported many regional, national, and international civic and Christian organizations before his death in 1994.

The chair was endowed in 1994 by Mr. Sharp Sharp and his wife, Emma, also a member of Shadyside Presbyterian Church and a major financial supporter of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary before her death in 2006. The Rev. Dr. Ron Cole-Turner was installed in 1996 as its first occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

James Henry Snowden Chair of Systematic Theology

James Henry Snowden, an 1875 graduate of Washington and Jefferson College and an 1878 graduate of Western Theological Seminary, served as professor of systematic theology at Western Theological Seminary from 1911-1929. Also a pastor, he served churches in Ohio and in Sharon and Washington, Pennsylvania.

This chair, named in his honor, was established with major gifts from multiple individuals and foundations, including lead gifts from an anonymous Pittsburgh foundation, the Vira Heinz Foundation, Ross Snowden, and Emma Sharp. In 1991 the Rev. Dr. George H. Kehm was installed to the chair as its first occupant. The Rev. Dr. John Burgess was installed in 2001 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

John Witherspoon Chair in Christian Ethics

John Witherspoon was born in Scotland in 1723. He studied at the University of Edinburgh and served two parishes in Scotland before departing for America in 1768. He served as president of the small Presbyterian College of New Jersey (now Princeton University), where he trained ministers at a time when American seminaries did not exist. Witherspoon served six years in the Continental Congress and signed the Declaration of Independence. He was the only minister to do so. Many of his students were launched into careers in government and public service, and one, James Madison, served as president of the United States. The Presbyterian Church honored him in 1789 by naming him the first moderator of the General Assembly.

This chair was endowed in the early 1990s with gifts from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary’s board of directors, including lead gifts from Thomas Henderson and from the estate of J. Harold Arnold. In 1992 Dr. Ronald H. Stone was installed to the chair as its first occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

P. C. Rossin Chair of Church History

Peter C. Rossin was chairman and chief executive officer of Dynamet Inc., which he founded in 1967. During his professional career, Rossin served as director of several public and private companies. He was a graduate of Lehigh and Yale universities.

Mr. Rossin and his wife, Ada—longtime members of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania—shared a commitment to the effective education of future generations and, specifically, to the upholding of moral, social, and professional ethics. The chair was endowed by the Rossins in 1991. In 1992 the Rev. Dr. Charles B. Partee was installed as its first occupant. The Rev. Dr. John E. Wilson was installed in 2009 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

W. Don McClure Chair of World Mission and Evangelism

W. Don McClure was born in 1906 in Blairsville, Pennsylvania. He earned his B.A. from Westminster College (Pennsylvania) in 1928 and his B.D. from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary in 1934. McClure taught from 1928-1931 at American Mission, Khartoum, Sudan, and held a pastorate in Murrysville, Pennsylvania, from 1932-1934. Returning as a missionary to Sudan and to Ethiopia, where he was field secretary at American Mission, Addis Ababa, McClure was later killed (1977) in a guerilla raid after 50 years of missionary service through the Presbyterian Church. He was named a Distinguished Alumnus by Pittsburgh Seminary in 1978. McClure’s story is told in Adventure in Africa: From Khartoum to Addis Ababa in Five Decades, by Charles B. Partee, son-in-law of W. Don McClure.

The chair was funded through gifts from multiple donors, with lead gifts from the estate of Helen L. Bai; Southminster Presbyterian Church; Mt. Lebanon United Presbyterian Church; William McNaugher; East Main United Presbyterian Church (Grove City, Pennsylvania); and the R. K. Mellon Family Foundation. In 1981 the Rev. Dr. Charles B. Partee was named to the chair as its first occupant. In 1995 the Rev. Dr. Scott W. Sunquist was named to the chair as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Henry L. Hillman Chair of Urban Ministry

Henry and Elsie Hillman are known throughout Pittsburgh and the nation as leaders and philanthropists. Mr. Hillman is a graduate of Princeton University. Founder of The Hillman Company and Hillman Foundation, Mr. Hillman serves as a director for a number of corporations throughout the country, in addition to his philanthropic pursuits. Mrs. Hillman is also a nationally recognized philanthropist. The Pittsburgh community, in particular, has been enriched many times by the Hillmans’ sensitivity to its needs. They are members of Calvary Episcopal Church. In 2005 the Hillmans were given the John Anderson Award of Merit, the highest honor bestowed by Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, in recognition of their service and contributions to the Seminary community.

Through Hillman Foundation, the Hillmans established the chair in 1991. The Rev. Dr. Ronald L. Peters was installed to the chair in 1998 as its first occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Joan Marshall Chair of Pastoral Care

This chair was established by Mr. Thomas Marshall, retired chairman and CEO of Aristech Chemical Corporation, in honor of his wife of five decades, Joan Marshall. It is the Seminary’s first academic chair to be named solely for a woman. Mrs. Marshall’s ecumenical pilgrimage, from the Catholic Church to the Lutheran Church and eventually the Presbyterian Church, gave her faith a strong biblical basis and love for Christ.

The chair was established in 1995. Dr. Martha Bowman Robbins was installed in 1996 as its first occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Robert Meneilly Chair of Leadership and Ministry

Robert H. Meneilly was born in Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania, in 1925. Following graduation from Monmouth College, then Pittsburgh Theological Seminary in 1947, Bob and his wife, Shirley, had planned to travel to China as missionaries. Instead, the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions sent them to the emerging post-war community of Prairie Village, Kansas, where they built what was to become for a time the second largest Presbyterian Church in the nation. Throughout his 45 years of ministry, “Doctor Bob,” now Pastor Emeritus at The Village Church, received many honors and awards for his work. In 1984-1985 he was named a Distinguished Pastor in Residence at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, where he is also an emeritus director, having served actively on the board from 1981-1990.

The chair was endowed by the late Mr. John “Jack” Tillotson, a member of The Village Church. In 1997 the Rev. Dr. Richard Ray was installed to the chair as its first occupant. The Rev. Dr. Craig Barnes was installed in 2003 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

William Oliver Campbell Chair in Homiletics

William Oliver Campbell was pastor of The Presbyterian Church, Sewickley, from 1885-1909 and served as pastor emeritus from 1909 till his death in 1926. He served on the faculty of Western Theological Seminary, an antecedent school of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.

The chair was established in 1960 by Campbell’s son, Wilson A. Campbell, in honor of his father. In 1963 the Rev. Dr. Iain G. Wilson was named to the chair as its first occupant, and in 1971 the Rev. Dr. David Buttrick was named as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Howard C. Scharfe Chair in Homiletics

Howard C. Scharfe was born in Ottowa, Canada, in 1907 and served as pastor of Shadyside Presbyterian Church from 1945-1971. Scharfe worked to develop and train young people who would exercise responsibility to preach the teachings of Christ to future generations. Upon the merger of Pittsburgh Xenia Seminary and Western Seminary in 1959, Scharfe accepted a position on the board of the newly formed Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. He was elected president of the board in 1969 and served in that capacity until his death in 1971.

The chair was established beginning in the mid-1970s with multiple gifts from members of Shadyside Presbyterian Church and with lead gifts from the Pitcairn-Crabbe Foundation, and several other individuals. The Rev. Dr. Richard J. Oman was installed to the chair in 1978 as its first occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Louise and Perry Dick Chair in Church Education

Louise H. Dick and Perry J. Dick were business, community, and religious leaders in Pittsburgh for over three decades. Perry Dick founded Trumbull Corporation and P.J. Dick Incorporated. Louise Dick served two terms on the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary Board. Mr. and Mrs. Dick were members of the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Upper St. Clair.

Louse and Perry Dick established this chair in 1993. The Rev. Dr. Byron H. Jackson was installed in 1993 as its first occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

William Stucki Hansen Chair for Christian Education and Youth Ministry

William Stucki Hansen was chairman of Hansen, Inc., the parent company of A. Stucki Co., a producer of railcar dynamic control products, and Hankinson International, a manufacturer of industrial air treatment products. Mr. Hansen was known for his commitment to his faith and his church, The Presbyterian Church, Sewickley, and for his philanthropy in the Pittsburgh community. Mr. Hansen died in 1999.

The chair was established by Mr. Hansen and his wife, Nancy, in 1998. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Donald G. Miller Librarian Chair

Donald G. Miller served as president of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary from 1962-1970. The chair supports the director of the Clifford E. Barbour Library in a position bearing full faculty status.

The Donald G. Miller Librarian Chair was established with a gift from the McCune Foundation. In 1999 Dr. Steve Perry was named to the chair as its first occupant. Dr. Sharon Taylor was installed in 2007 as its second occupant. Return to Endowed Faculty Chairs

Jean and Nancy Davis Chair of Historical Theology

Identical twin sisters Jean and Nancy Davis were lifelong Pittsburghers who died within four months of each other at age 97—Jean in October 2012, and Nancy in February 2013. Neither of them married, and they lived their entire lives in a red-brick house built by their father on South Braddock Avenue in Pittsburgh’s East End. Their pursuit of a modest lifestyle allowed them to be faithful stewards of a substantial inheritance from their parents, who had held the distribution franchise for the laundry whitening detergent La France. Both college graduates, Jean and Nancy lived out their vocations with others-oriented service stemming from their Christian convictions. Jean served with the USO in Germany and headed the music department in the Tarentum schools. Nancy served with the WAVES in the U.S. Navy and worked as a secretary at Westinghouse.

The Davis sisters established this chair with a bequest to Pittsburgh Seminary through the Pittsburgh Foundation. The Rev. Dr. Andrew Purves was installed to the chair in 2013 as its first occupant.

Return to Extreme Impact Gifts Advance our Mission