Jean and Nancy Davis Professor of Historical Theology
Year Started at PTS: 1983
- Ph.D., University of Edinburgh / Theology, 1978
- Th.M., Duke Divinity School / Theology, 1975
- B.D., University of Edinburgh / Philosophical Theology, 1974
- M.A., University of Edinburgh / Philosophy, 1971
A native of Edinburgh, Scotland, the Rev. Dr. Andrew Purves received degrees in philosophy and divinity from the University of Edinburgh, and a Th.M. from Duke Divinity School. His Ph.D. is from the University of Edinburgh. Purves came to the US in 1978 and was ordained by Philadelphia Presbytery. He served as minister of the Hebron Presbyterian Church, Clinton, Pa. until 1983, when he was called to join the faculty of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. Purves has a long list of publications, both books and articles, academic and popular. His forthcoming book is Christology and Atonement: Theological Engagements With John McLeod Campbell, Hugh Ross Mackintosh, and Thomas Forsyth Torrance (IVP Academic). Recent books include The Search for Compassion: Spirituality and Ministry, Union in Christ (with Mark Achtemeier), A Passion for the Gospel (with Achtemeier), Encountering God: Christian Faith in Turbulent Times (with Charles Partee), Pastoral Theology in the Classical Tradition, Reconstructing Pastoral Theology: A Christological Foundation, The Crucifixion of Ministry, and The Resurrection of Ministry. Purves is married to the Rev. Catherine J. Purves, minister of the Bellevue United Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh Presbytery. They have three grown children, Brendan, Gordon, and Laura.
Ordination: PC(USA), 1979 as Minister of Word and Sacrament
Areas of Expertise
- Doctrinal theology from a Reformed perspective
- Editorial Board, Edification (Society for Christian Psychology)
- Editorial Board, Participatio (T F Torrance Theological Fellowship)
- The Catherine and Andrew Purves Merit Scholarship, endowed in 2006 at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary by private donors in honor of the Purveses
Dr. Purves was invited to speak at TEDx Leadership Pittsburgh. This event was designed to put ideas in the forefront, challenge traditional thinking, and encourage attendees to explore new possibilities and collaborations.