Innovation in Mission Project
We are writing a book for congregational mission leaders and are looking for stories of congregations that have developed innovative mission practices that may be encouraging or instructive for other congregations. If you know a story of innovation in one of these areas, we’d love to hear from you:
- Short-term mission trips
- Caring for children
- Allocating mission funds
- Organizing congregations for mission
Please provide info in one or several of the following categories. Kindly limit your responses to 300 words.
Hunter Farrell and Balajiedlang Khyllep
World Mission Initiative
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
Short-term Mission Trips
Share with us in the box below the story of a congregation you know that has developed innovative practices in short-term mission trips (use these questions if helpful):
- Share the story of the congregation’s innovative practices to improve short-term mission trips.
- What were the impacts in the host community? Among those who travel?
- Is there an image or story that expresses well the congregation’s learnings about mission trips?
Caring for Children
Share with us in the box below the story of a congregation you know that has developed innovative practices in caring for children, either locally or globally (use these questions if helpful):
- Describe the congregation’s innovative practices in caring for children.
- What is the story of how the congregation developed its approach?
- How was your congregation able to incorporate extended family members and community into the effort to care for children?
Share with us in the box below the story of a congregation you know that has developed innovative practices in its allocation of mission funding (use these questions if helpful):
- How has the congregation taken stock of the power and potentially negative impacts of money in God’s mission and worked to mitigate them?
- What were the mission funding practices of the congregation before establishing these practices and how were they changed?
- What image or story would illustrate the positive impact the relationship brings?
Organizing for Mission
- Please describe a church you know that has developed strategies in striving to effectively engage its congregants in mission involvement by training and educating about mission.
- How does the church’s understanding of God’s mission in this world shape the way it approaches and structures its mission engagement differently from others churches?
- How has this approach allowed congregants to see God’s mission in their everyday lives? Please give an example.