M.Div. Student Learning Outcomes
The purpose of the M.Div. program at PTS is to form theologically reflective leaders with the habits, skills and knowledge to lead Christian communities as they participate in the gracious life and mission of the Triune God.
- Demonstrate the capacity to interpret the Bible as Christian Scripture.
- Demonstrate the capacity to integrate the knowledge of Christian history and theology with the life of the church in the world.
- Demonstrate the capacity to exegete and interpret the church’s various contexts as the location of God’s mission.
- Demonstrate the capacity to reflect theologically on cultural, social, and ethical issues and how they shape the life of the church.
- Demonstrate a practical knowledge of and ongoing participation in the habits and practices of personal and corporate Christian piety.
- Demonstrate the capacity to communicate the relevance of these habits and practices for the church’s witness to the Reign of God.
- Demonstrate the capacity to perform the tasks of pastoral leadership, including (but not limited to) pastoral care, preaching, and teaching.
- Demonstrate the capacity to facilitate habits and practices of communal discernment.
Courses are generally three credit hours. When followed on a full-time basis (12-13 credits), the program is completed in three academic years. Student pastors are encouraged to spread their degree work over four academic years.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Term 1||Term 1||Term 1|
|Historical Studies I||Theological Reflection on Ministry*||Church and Sacraments|
|Biblical Language||Pastoral Studies: Education||Elective|
|Historical Books||Introduction to Ethics||Elective|
|Spiritual Formation||Biblical Language or Elective||Elective|
|Term 2||Term 2||Term 2|
|Historical Studies II||Theological Reflection on Ministry*||Missiology|
|Biblical Language||Pastoral Studies: Pastoral Care||Elective|
|Prophets and Psalms||Christology||Elective|
|Gospels, Acts, and Johannine Epistles||Elective or Biblical Language||Elective|
|Term 3||Term 3||Term 3|
|Historical Studies III||Theological Reflection on Ministry*||Elective|
|Exegesis||Pastoral Studies: Homiletics||Elective|
|Introduction to Systematic Theology||Church and Society||Elective|
|New Testament Letters||Biblical Language or Elective||Elective|
* Required course carrying one credit hour for each term