The American Religious Landscape
Conversations and Community Series
One day each month between October-December 2019 and February-March 2020
The Pew Research Center reports that the Christian share of the U.S. population is in decline, while other religions and those who identify as “none”, are on the rise. Being an effective faith leader and a good neighbor involves knowing how to navigate this changing landscape socially and theologically. Join us for an introduction to this work and to some of the faith traditions which comprise our region. The November, December, and February sessions will be held at houses of worship in the Western Pennsylvania area.
You can register to attend the entire series of all 5 events or for one or more individual sessions as your schedule allows. All sessions are free. When visiting houses of worship, we will collect a freewill offering to thank our hosts.
- Oct. 10, 2019, 9:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.; Lunch available at Kadel Dining Room, PTS.
Religion and the U.S. Context: Part 1 with Jim Gilchrist, Retired Pastor, PC(USA); Location: PTS, 616 N. Highland Ave., Pittsburgh, Pa.
- November 8, 2019, 10:00 a.m.-12:45 p.m.; Lunch provided. Plan to travel to the Temple in Monroeville for this session.
Hinduism. Location: Sri Venkateswarma Temple, 1230 McCully Dr., Monroeville, Pa. (www.svtemple.org)
- Dec. 6, 2019, 9:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.; Lunch provided. Plan to travel to Rodef Shalom for this session.
Judaism. Location: Rodef Shalom, 4905 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, Pa. (www.rodefshalom.org)
- February 13, 2020, 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.; There will be no lunch for this session. Plan to travel to Monroeville for this session.
Islam. Location: Muslim Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh, 233 Seaman Ln., Monroeville, Pa (www.mccgp.org)
- March 13, 2020, 9:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.; Lunch available at Kadel Dining Room, PTS.
Religion and the U.S. Context, Part II with Jim Gilchrist, Retired Pastor, PC(USA); Location: PTS, 616 N. Highland Ave., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Registration is free; however, advance registration is required. Freewill offerings will be collected for off-site sessions.
DIRECTIONS / CEUs / QUESTIONS
Directions to the Seminary. Free parking is available behind the chapel and library. Signs will be placed on campus to direct you to the class location.
Directions to the other sites in the series will be provided to registrants as they are available.
0.2 CEUs per session / To request a certificate, e-mail ConEd@pts.edu.
E-mail ConEd@pts.edu or call 412-924-1345.