Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is a graduate professional institution of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and is ecumenically minded, with more than 30 denominations represented in the student body. The Seminary prepares men and women for ministry through day and evening classes. The Seminary’s degree programs are accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Pittsburgh Seminary is well-known for its academic rigor and high standards for programs and courses.
Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Degree Program
The master of divinity (M.Div.) degree is a professional program that prepares men and women for ministry. With a bachelor’s degree as a prerequisite, the master of divinity program is designed to integrate theological studies and the practice of ministry. When followed on a full time basis, students normally complete the program in three years. In supervised field education experiences students practice ministry through direct involvement in congregations and other settings. Learn more about the M.Div. degree.
M.Div. Joint Degree Programs
In addition to enrolling in the Seminary’s degree programs, students have the option to cross-register with several institutions in the Pittsburgh area, including Carnegie Mellon University, Duquesne University, the University of Pittsburgh, and others, thereby expanding their educational opportunities at a great value.
- Master of Divinity / Master of Social Work (M.Div./M.S.W.) Joint Degree Program with the University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Divinity / Juris Doctor (M.Div./JD) Joint Degree Program with Duquesne University
- Master of Divinity / Master of Science in Public Policy and Management (M.Div./MSPPM) Joint Degree Program with Carnegie Mellon University
Master of Arts (M.A.) Degree Program
This program is designed for those who wish to engage seriously in theological studies at the graduate level. Students normally complete this degree program in two years of full-time academic work and conclude with either an integrative essay or a thesis option. The M.A. allows students to focus on a particular area of emphasis that can be drawn from any core areas of study or the areas of special disciplines. Learn more about the M.A. degree.
Master of Arts in Theology and Ministry (M.A.T.M.) Degree Program
The Master of Arts in Theology and Ministry (M.A.T.M.) degree is a program designed for those who wish to develop a deeper theological and spiritual foundation and a broader cultural understanding for ministry in churches, nonprofit organizations, and other vocational settings. The course of study provides a comprehensive introduction to the traditional disciplines and a selection of concentrations in particular areas of practice while seeking at every point to integrate the two. Learn more about the M.A.T.M. degree.
Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) Degree Program
The Master of Arts in Theological Studies program is designed for students who intend to specialize in a particular theological discipline or pursue a specialized cross-disciplinary project in the area of theology/religion. This program will enhance the student's leadership role in both the Church and society and also provides a foundation for a Ph.D. Alongside those who are called to work pastorally, Christian leadership includes those with deep knowledge of Scripture and the Christian tradition who have the ability to communicate and apply what they know in an academic or Church environment as well as the public square. Learn more about the M.A.T.S. degree.
The evening program at PTS provides the flexibility to allow you to start your seminary education while continuing your full-time job, family, church, and social activities. The M.Div., M.A., and M.A.T.M. degrees can be obtained through the evening program. Learn more about the evening program.
Master of Theology (Th.M.) Degree Program
* No longer accepting new applicants *
This program is designed to provide continued academic work beyond the master of divinity (M.Div.) degree. The Th.M. has a twofold purpose:
- To provide a fuller mastery of one area of theological study, and
- To increase research proficiency and the ability to formulate questions for intellectual exploration.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
- M.Div. Emphasis in Church Planting
- M.Div./M.A./M.A.T.M. Graduate Certificate in Urban Ministry
- M.Div. / Master of Social Work Joint Degree
- M.Div. / Juris Doctor Joint Degree
- M.Div. / Master of Science in Public Policy and Management Joint Degree
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- M.A. in Theology and Ministry (M.A.T.M.)
- M.A. in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.)
- Master of Theology (Th.M.)