Allies in Faith: Encouraging Hospitality to Immigrants
First Session: Wed., Nov. 28, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. through Thurs., Nov. 29, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., 2018
Second Session: Thurs., March 14, 2019, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
More than 20,000 immigrants from all across the globe have moved to Southwest Pennsylvania in the past decade. Is your congregation prepared to welcome your newest neighbors? What kind of outreach would best meet the needs of your community?
For this program, Christian Associates and Pittsburgh Theological Seminary will be joining together to offer Allies in Faith, a two-day learning experience for clergy and religious leaders. Led by a team of seminary professors and staff, community experts, and recent immigrants, Allies in Faith will empower you to:
- Articulate a theology of welcome, hearing the call to hospitality in Jewish and Christian scriptures;
- Deepen your understanding of the immigrant experience, in local and national contexts;
- Delve into local resources, meeting representatives from nearly a dozen agencies and organizations that support immigrants;
- Conduct a congregational and neighborhood assessment to determine how your church can best partner with immigrant communities; and
- Plan a project, supported by ongoing connections over the next four months, that will actively connect your congregation with your newest neighbors.
Following the closing session, ongoing webinar and social media support will continue while participants work on assessment, planning, and project implementation. The group will reconvene on March 14, 2019 to share their experiences and celebrate the new connections and partnerships that have been formed.
To apply, visit www.pts.edu/allies-in-faith-program-application. Application Deadline: November 15, 2018
Fee / Housing / Directions
The program is free, however, to participate you must apply. See above link for online application.
Limited housing is available on the Seminary campus. To reserve a private room, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-924-1397.
Signage will be available on campus to direct you to the room location of the program. Directions to reach the Seminary campus.
Questions can be sent to Helen Blier or by calling 412-924-1346.