Pittsburgh Theological Seminary invites you to an installation lecture Oct. 5, 2022, at 4:30 p.m. in Hicks Chapel. The Rev. Dr. Angela Dienhart Hancock, associate professor of homiletics and worship, will present the Howard C. Scharfe Chair in Homiletics Lecture—"More Than Civil: The Witness of Deliberation in the Christian Community"—ahead of her installation to this chair Nov. 8, 2022.
This event will be in-person and online. A reception will follow the lecture.
Register for the combined installation service Nov. 8, 2022, during which time professors Leanna Fuller, Scott Hagley, Angela Hancock, Roger Owens, and Drew Smith will be installed into their respective chairs.
The Rev. Dr. Angela Dienhart Hancock serves as associate professor of homiletics and worship. She is an ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and has served as pastor to churches in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Hancock is the author of Karl Barth’s Emergency Homiletic, 1932-33: A Summons to Prophetic Witness at the Dawn of the Third Reich, a contextual interpretation of Swiss theologian Karl Barth’s lectures on preaching in the early 1930s, based on unpublished archival material. Her current research explores Karl Barth’s contribution to the ethics of deliberation in Christian communities and the relationship between political and theological rhetoric. Hancock continues to preach, teach, and lead worship in a variety of settings.
Howard C. Scharfe was born in Ottawa, Canada, in 1907, and served as pastor of Shadyside Presbyterian Church from 1945-1971. Scharfe worked to develop and train young people who would exercise responsibility to preach the teachings of Christ to future generations. Upon the consolidation of Pittsburgh-Xenia Seminary and Western Seminary in 1959, Scharfe accepted a position on the board of the newly formed Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. He was elected president of the board in 1969 and served in that capacity until his death in 1971. The chair was established beginning in the mid-1970s with multiple gifts from members of Shadyside Presbyterian Church and with lead gifts from the Pitcairn-Crabbe Foundation, and several other individuals. The Rev. Dr. Richard J. Oman was installed to the chair in 1978 as its first occupant.