Keeping Faith in Politics: Christianity and the Crisis of Democracy
An Online Class - CANCELED
Sept. 27 - Oct. 23, 2020
Have you ever asked, “Can we believe in politics?” Perhaps you wonder how your faith bears on public life in terms of the candidates for whom you vote, the policies which you support, or the causes for which you advocate. Maybe you worry that we cannot trust our system, our leaders, or even our neighbors. If you’re asking these big questions, join us as we search for serious answers.
This online class allows students to engage in the material at their convenience. The instructor will introduce new topics and material each week.
- Week of Sept. 28: Seeking the Common Good in a World of Self-Interest
- Week of Oct. 4: Polarization, Distrust, and the Unmaking of “America”
- Week of Oct. 11: Honest Citizenship in a Post-Truth World
- Week of Oct. 18: The Law of God and the Law of the Land
Details about accessing the class website will be mailed to you about a week before the class begins. If you have problems logging on, please contact us at ConEd@pts.edu for assistance.
Derek Woodard-Lehman is a theological educator with broad teaching and administrative leadership experience in colleges and universities, as well as churches and seminaries. He currently serves in an administrative capacity at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, where he also is lecturer in theology and ethics. Prior to coming to PTS, Derek was lecturer in theology and public issues at University of Otago and the program coordinator for the New Zealand Centre for Theology and Public Issues. His work examines the intersection of religion and politics, particularly in democratic social movements and faith-based grassroots organizing. It also emphasizes the connection between confessional theology and political theology.
Each week of the class will be structured as follows:
- Mondays-Thursdays: Asynchronous discussions online with some short pre-recorded webcast lectures and downloadable readings.
- Fridays, 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET (Oct. 2, 9, 16, and 23): Live synchronous webinars with the instructor.
- Saturdays-Sundays: Reflection and catch-up time.
REGISTRATION, FEE, AND ENROLLMENT DEADLINE
This class is canceled.
$100 / person. The registration deadline is Sept. 14, 2020.
Maximum enrollment: 15 people
1.0; certificates are provided upon request to ConEd@pts.edu
E-mail ConEd@pts.edu or call 412-924-1345.