A Day with Daniel Hill
May 6, 2019
- 1:00-5:00 p.m. Workshop for Ministry Leaders: "White Awake: Developing a Discipleship Framework for Awakening to and Confronting the System of Race" - CLOSED
- 5:15-6:45 p.m. Dinner by reservation only. CLOSED
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. Evening presentation: "Racism and the Church: A Conversation with Daniel Hill and Todd Allen" Open to the public.
Registration for the workshop and dinner are now closed. The evening presentation remains open for those who wish to attend.
Workshop - Closed for additional registrations.
White Awake: Developing a Discipleship Framework for Awakening to and Confronting the System of Race
When it comes to the biblical call for reconciliation, white Christians in particular often feel lots of confusion. When we look at other groups of color, we see them as having culture. But when it comes to our own we often feel a sense of void. And when it comes to leading communities of faith, it often feels unclear as to what it means to build disciples that can understand and respond to the impact of race in both society, as well as within their own sense of cultural identity development.
This workshop will equip you to develop:
- A common language and theology for naming and confronting the system of race;
- An understanding of the intersection of sociology, history, and theology as it shapes our corporate response to the construct of race;
- A discipleship framework for the purposes of forming agents of reconciliation;
- A framework for considering personal, communal, and systemic transformation; and
- A framework for white cultural identity development.
Pastors who register and attend the workshop will receive a free copy of Hill's book, White Awake: An Honest Look at What It Means to Be White. We encourage teams of two-three people from churches to attend.
Racism and the Church: A Conversation with Daniel Hill and Todd Allen
The evening presentation will be a discussion between Drs. Hill and Allen about racism and the church. Hill's book will be on sale before the lecture, and there will be a book signing after the presentation ends. All who attend are welcome to join us for a reception after the evening's program to continue conversations with fellow attendees.
Daniel Hill, Senior Pastor, River City Community Church, Chicago, Ill., and Author
Todd Allen, Special Assistant to the President and Provost for Diversity Affairs and Professor of Communication, Messiah College, Mechanicsburg, Pa.
Directions / Lodging / CEUs
Lodging On-campus housing is available if you wish to stay overnight. To make reservations, call 412-924-1397 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
CEUs CEUs will be available for clergy upon request. Registration is required.
Bulletin Insert Feel free to download this file and make it available to your congregations or other interested parties. Thank you!
Notice of Photography and Filming
When you enter a Pittsburgh Theological Seminary event or program, you enter an area where photography, audio, and video recording may occur.
Questions about the event can be directed to the Continuing Education at ConEd@pts.edu or 412-924-1345.