All for the Glory of God: An Ignatian Retreat
A Spiritual Formation Elective
June 14, 7:00 p.m.-June 17, 1:00 p.m., 2020
On this retreat, we will explore the life and Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola and discover how Ignatian spirituality can be a doorway to personal transformation. We will examine the key Ignatian themes found in the Exercises such as his Principle and Foundation, Spiritual Indifference, and Discernment of the Spirits. Participants will also take time to engage in spiritual practices of prayer and contemplation in the Ignatian tradition. Through this retreat you will discover the vitality that is found in the Spiritual Exercises and learn new spiritual practices to ignite your faith journey.
Jeff Eddings is a convener of sacred spaces and oversees the coaching network for the 1001 New Worshiping Communities movement in the PC(USA). He lives in the South Side of Pittsburgh with his wife, Carolyn; their two sons, Ben and Sam; and their dogs, Luna and Duncan. The Ignatian motto "finding God in all things" is one he seeks to live by. He most readily finds God in spending time with his family, camping, good coffee, and under a star-filled night. You can learn more about Jeff and his work at www.jeffeddings.com.
Please do your best to read the required books before your arrival. If you wish to be in the Spiritual Formation Certificate Program, you should prepare a one-page reflection paper for each required book; these will be collected the first evening of class. If you do not plan to seek the certificate but are taking the class for personal enrichment, the reflection papers are not required, but we strongly encourage you to read the texts to get as much as possible from the retreat.
- The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life by James Martin, SJ
- Finding God in All Things: A Companion to the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius by Wiliam Barry, SJ
- A Simple Life Changing Prayer: Discovering the Power of St. Ignatius Loyola’s Examen by Jim Manney
Recommended Text to Better Know St. Ignatius
- Ignatius of Loyola The Pilgrim Saint by Jose Ignacio Tellechea Idigoras. Translated by Cornelius MIchael Buckley, SJ
Recommended Readings to Go Deeper
- Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living by Timothy M. Gallagher, OMV
- The Examen Prayer: Ignatian Wisdom for Our Lives Today by Timothy M. Gallagher, OMV
- The Way of Discernment:Spiritual Practices for Decision Making by Elizabeth Liebert
$410; includes all meals and lodging
This program will be held at Crestfield Camp and Conference Center in Slippery Rock, Pa. More details to follow.
SCHEDULE / CEUs
A general schedule is available.
2.0 CEUs will be provided upon request to the Office of Continuing Education.
Contact ConEd@pts.edu or call 412-924-1345.