Lenten Devotional 2018
Each year Pittsburgh Theological Seminary offers our free Advent and Lent devotionals as our gift to you! We invite you to read and listen to daily messages written by members of our community. Scroll down to learn more about the various ways you can read the daily Lent devotionals.
In addition to the daily devotionals below, you might also be interested in our newest resources for personal and corporate worship.
- Big Book of Lent- Year 2 Multiple biblical passages from the daily lectionary, reflections based on those passages, and accompanying prayers based on each reflection
- E-book Includes transcriptions from last year's Lent video series highlighting the research and writing for faculty and program directors
- Blogs Read blog posts about Jesus fulfilling the meaning of his names, fasting, and forgiveness.
- Sermon Provides inspiration on how to move your congregation from somber Lenten reflection to celebration of new life in the resurrected Christ
- Slideshow Galilee to Golgotha Slideshow follows the Gospel of Luke’s account in taking you on a visual trip of the journey from Galilee to Jerusalem, the city of Jesus’ Passion
- Hymns Lists both familiar and less familiar songs for enriching an expanding your congregation’s Lenten repertoire
- Plus, additional resources from previous years include the "What is Lent?" video, Psalm 131 - Original Liturgical Translation, and a customizable PowerPoint.
- Also, access sheet music of Easter songs perfect for the youth in your congregation who play wood wind instruments.
We invite you to join us live every Wednesday morning at 10:00 through March 28 on Facebook to hear from faculty and program directors as they discuss the lectionary, Lent practices, and their work at the Seminary. If you can't join us during the Coffee with the Dean conversations, no worries; the videos will also be posted on YouTube and linked from here. So check back often for new videos!
Coffee with the Dean Week 4 - Director of the Center for Writing and Learning Support Shan Overton
Lenten Devotional 2018
Daily Devotionals Delivered to your E-mail
- Visit PTS News Sign Up.
- Complete the required information and select Devotionals (Advent and Lent). Please note that other e-newsletters are available.
- Click “Subscribe”.
If you received the Lenten or Advent devotional last year, nothing further is required.
If you already receive e-news from the Seminary (President’s Communiqué, Alumni News, WMI, MUI, CPI, Museum, or Continuing Education), but not the Devotional, you will need to
- Click "Preferences" at the end of a PTS e-mail.
- Select "Devotionals (Advent and Lent)" and click "Update."
- Please note, if you would like to subscribe to the Devotional using a different e-mail from which you receive other Seminary e-newsletters, you will need to sign up using the “New Subscriber” instructions listed above.
For those with further questions or having difficulty signing up, please e-mail David Keys at email@example.com.
The Seminary's Advent and Lenten Devotionals are available through a free app for your Android or Apple device. Visit the Google Play Store or iTunes Store and search for "Devotions - Advent & Lent" or follow these link from your mobile device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.pts.devotions (Android) or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/devotions-advent-lent/id945697533?ls=1&mt=8 (Apple).
Devotionals on Social Media
Devotionals to Print and Share
We also offer a printed version of the devotional that's great for sharing with your small church group. You can request a printed copy be mailed to you by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 412-362-5610. DOWNLOAD THE 2018 LENTEN DEVOTIONAL
Devotionals for Your Website
Want to embed the Seminary's Advent devotional on your church's website? E-mail email@example.com and we'll send you the code! The content will automatically load and be displayed for each day.
Advent Devotional 2017
Advent Devotional 2016
Advent Devotional 2015
Advent Devotional 2014
Advent Devotional 2013
Advent Devotional 2012
Advent Devotional 2011
Advent Devotional 2010
Advent Devotional 2009
Advent Devotional 2008
About Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
Rooted in the Reformed tradition, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is committed to the formation of women and men for theologically reflective ministry and to scholarship in service to the global Church of Jesus Christ.
Become a Student
- Graduate Certificate in Church Planting and Revitalization
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Ministry
- Spiritual Formation Certificate
- Church Planting Initiative
- Continuing Education
- Kelso Museum of Near Eastern Archaeology
- Miller Summer Youth Institute
- Metro-Urban Institute
- World Mission Initiative
- Zeitah Excavations
In addition to their on-campus duties, our faculty are experts in their fields and are available to preach and teach. Learn more about their topics of research and writing and invite them to present at your congregation or gathering.
The Seminary hosts a wide range of events - many free! - on topics of faith including church planting, mission, vocation, spiritual formation, pastoral care and counseling, archaeology, and many more. Visit our calendar often for a listing of upcoming events.
Interested in the Seminary? Come visit us!
Stay in Touch with PTS
Sign-up to receive the Seminary's newsletters: Seminary News (monthly), Church Planting Initiative (monthly), Continuing Education (monthly), World Mission Iniatitive (monthly), Metro-Urban Institute (quaterly), and Kelso Museum. Alums, there's also one for you!