Into the Light: Pastoral Responses to the Opioid Crisis with Sue Washburn and Lee McDermott
Sue Washburn, Pastor, Reunion Presbyterian Church, and Interim Editor, Presbyterians Today
F. Lee McDermott, Pastor, The McClellandtown and Grace Chapel Presbyterian Churches
Date / Schedule
Oct. 27, 2017, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. / Schedule
A workshop for faith community leaders
By attending this workshop, we hope attendees will become affective allies to those impacted by addiction by helping them
- to be pastorally present to those affected by addiction; and
- to learn how to talk about addiction in the sanctuary and in other church conversations.
After the workshop, attendees are invited to join the instructors as they lead the Seminary’s chapel service in the manner outlined during the morning session. Western Pennsylvania county representatives will be available to continue the discussion over lunch for those who wish to stay.
- Familiarize faith leaders with the dynamics of addiction in the lives of those experiencing it and their loved ones
- Equip faith leaders with basic skills and information for being pastorally present to those affected by addiction and making appropriate referrals
- Provide faith leaders with liturgical and church strategies and resources for including addiction in the conversations and worship of the faith community
Registration Fee / CEs and CEUs / Directions
Registration Fee: $25 / If you wish to stay for lunch (an additional $10 fee), sign-up is available as an optional item in the online registration.
CEs: 4.0 CEs available for licensed social workers, marriage/family therapists, and professional counselors.
CEUs: Provided to clergy and laity upon request.