Allies in Faith: Encouraging Hospitality to Immigrants
Wed., Sept. 11-Thurs., Sept. 12, 2019
9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. each day
"When a foreigner lives with you in your land, don't take advantage of him. Treat the foreigner the same as a native. Love him like one of your own. Remember that you were once foreigners in Egypt. I am God, your God." Leviticus 9:33-34
More than 20,000 immigrants from all across the globe have moved to Southwest Pennsylvania in the past decade. Is your congregation prepared to welcome your newest neighbors? What kind of outreach would best meet the needs of your community?
For this program, Christian Associates of Southwest PA (CASP) and Pittsburgh Theological Seminary will be joining again to offer Allies in Faith, a two-day learning experience for clergy and religious leaders. Led by a team of clergy, community experts, and recent immigrants, Allies in Faith will empower you to:
- articulate a theology of welcome, hearing the call to hospitality in Jewish and Christian scriptures;
- deepen your understanding of the immigrant experience, in local and national contexts;
- delve into local resources, meeting representatives from nearly a dozen agencies and organizations that support immigrants;
- conduct a congregational and neighborhood assessment to determine how your church can best partner with immigrant communities; and
- plan a project, supported by ongoing connections, that will actively connect your congregation with your newest neighbors.
Following the closing session, ongoing webinar and social media support will continue while participants work on assessment, planning, and project implementation.
To apply, visit www.pts.edu/allies-in-faith-program-application. Application Deadline: Aug. 28, 2019
We encourage you to bring up to three participants from your community!
Fee / Housing / Directions
Thanks to a generous grant, the program is free; however, to participate you must apply. See above link for online application.
Complementary housing is available on campus for participants who travel from outside the Pittsburgh region. To reserve a room, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-924-1397.
Signage will be available on campus to direct you to the room location of the program. Directions to the Seminary.
Contact Helen Blier or call 412-924-1346.